
Yesterday was the big day, many months of hard work came to a close for Paige’s DI team- “The Brainy Bunch” (bottom: Paige & Maddie Top: Selam, Alex, Lauren, Abby & Nicole). This is the second year these seven girls and their team leaders have worked together. Paige’s team was a combination of fourth and fifth graders along with their two team leaders, Mr. B & Mrs. Gustafson (both are teachers at school who volunteered countless after school hours to working with these girls). If you haven’t heard of DI (short for Destination Imagination), here’s a brief explanation;
Destination Imagination® is a creative problem-solving program for students. They work on predetermined challenges. They work in teams and think up all the ideas and do all of the work themselves with a non-participatory adult team manager. The students learn teamwork, innovation, solving problems on a budget, presentation skills, and conflict resolution. Teams perform their solutions at a local/state tournament.
This year, the girls chose “Instinct Messaging” as their central challenge. Here’s a little bit of info about a team challenge;
The Team Challenge requires that the team write a skit of up to eight minutes in length (or six minutes for improvisational or nonverbal challenges) that creatively presents the solution to a problem presented in the challenge explanation. The goal of the challenge is that the team develops a solution that is integrally tied into the creative skit. Points are awarded not only for completing the challenge's requirements, but also for creativity, teamwork, and performance. Only registered team members can help with the challenge.
Well, I won’t go into too much more detail, if you would like more info about DI, just google Destination Imagination and you will find oodles of information!
The girls did so well, it’s amazing to see the creativity these girls have! As I was watching them perform yesterday, I had to remind myself that everything (script, props, costumes, etc.) was designed by them and that they did all of their own research! The team leaders cannot give them ideas, they are only there to guide them.
Because we had to get Kyla to a birthday party at 4pm, we were a little late for the awards ceremony. Since we were in such a rush, I forgot my camera in the car. I thought about it as I was running through the parking lot, but decided to leave it there because of Murphy’s Law; if they didn’t place, I would have my camera, but if they did, I wouldn’t! So as not to mess with Murphy, I decided to keep running. And sure enough, they took 3rd place and received ribbons! Unfortunately this means they don’t move on to State (only 1st and 2nd place moves forward), but to improve from 6th place last year to 3rd place this year and receive a ribbon is HUGE. We couldn’t be more proud!

No comments:
Post a Comment